Dark Side Of The Moon [Play] - On UK Radio 2. 2013
  • cdburnercdburner May 2013

Just for those who are interested.... DSOTM been made into a play (with DSOTM tracks) being aired in August 2013

Should be worth a listen.. ;-]

• cdburnercdburner August 2013

NPF News letter sent out yesterday, this is being broadcast at 10pm, after "Pink Floyd" fans have "taken over the radio station" for 2 hours with playlists,,,,, The broadcast after is worth a listen too, if you haven't heard it,

• Gibbin82 November 2013
    Just to remind everyone interested, the CD of Darkside is out today

Get it from here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FR0GS7C/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or your other favourite CD seller (preferably a small Independant.

Amazon Product description below

Darkside is a deluxe CD play written by Tom Stoppard for BBC Radio 2, incorporating music from Pink Floyd’s iconic The Dark Side of the Moon to mark the 40th anniversary of Pink Floyd’s album.

Tom Stoppard said: “When The Dark Side of the Moon was a new album in 1973, a friend of mine walked into my room where I was working with a copy in his hand and said ‘You really have to do a play about this album.’ So, when, roughly 39-and-a-half years later, Jeff Smith from Radio 2 asked me if I’d like to do some kind of play around the 40th birthday of the Pink Floyd album, it really wasn’t a very difficult decision.”

Produced in collaboration with Sir Tom Stoppard’s publishers Faber and Faber, the luxury package resembles a hard-backed book, including a CD carrying the 54-minute play, which includes the majority of the Dark Side of the Moon album, plus a 56-page bound insert of the play’s script. The cover features artwork by Hipgnosis designer Aubrey ‘Po’ Powell in collaboration with StormStudios, based on the specially-created Aardman Animations piece used to publicise the broadcast. The full play script includes all the dialogue and stage directions, plus Roger Waters’ original lyrics from the album.

Darkside is an abstract and compelling drama which follows Emily, a philosophy student, through a series of thought experiments, which are vividly brought to life. The play also ranges over a series of grand themes, which are both thought provoking and laced with Stoppard’s characteristic wit and humour. The cast is impressive, with Bill Nighy as Dr Antrobus/the Witch Finder, Rufus Sewell is Mr Baggott/Ethics Man, Adrian Scarborough is Fat Man and Emily is Amaka Okafor.

The Dark Side of the Moon remained in the charts for 741 weeks from 1973 to 1988. With an estimated 50 million copies sold, it is Pink Floyd’s most commercially successful album and is frequently ranked as one of the greatest albums of all time.
  • cdburnercdburner November 2013

Got it yesterday, a bit disappointed that there's hardly any pictures from the animation included. I got the 2CD pack with the book... The 2nd Cd is only the same as the 1st but in 9 different languages, ok for language students !!

• Gibbin82 November 2013
    Hi cdburner I was also expecting a few extras to just the audio of the play as broadcast,a few of the animations from the trailer on the bonus cd would have been nice. And I think you find the 2nd CD isn't even an audio CD but just pdf files the script in several different languages.
  • Gibbin82 November 2013
    I suppose though if you view it as a hard backed book of the radio play by Tom Stoppard (which it is) with the original audio production as a bonus, it is a very nice little package. Maybe we should be looking at it that way, rather than just an audio CD with sleeve notes, that virtually nobody ever reads anyway.
  • cdburnercdburner November 2013
    Yes I know what you mean Gibbin, that's why I hardly buy Cd's and try get vinyl as much as possible. I haven't played either of the Cd's yet (as I already have it downloaded) isn't the interweb good !! Lol..  so I didn't know the 2nd CD was just pdf files.. I've just ordered the RSD Zabriskie Point [Expanded Edition] vinyl... more money out of the bank !!
  • CorneliusCornelius December 2013

Sleeve notes on cd's are such a nightmare to read sometimes, aren't they ?

even more so lately, the old eye sight's going down the drain !

RSD Zabriskie Point expanded edition on vinyl, sounds great..!

although I've heard a few songs from it on A CD FULL OF SECRETS (phantom records, Luxembourg)

it would be great to own the whole double album, isn't Gerry Garcia on that too..?

• cdburnercdburner December 2013
    Yes Gerry Garcia & a few others.... Brain Damage site has info on it... My copy is on its way from the U.S..... and the customs people better not charge me either !!
  • imspartacusimspartacus December 2013
    I have got z.point  expanded vinyl theres some extra tracks wright x Garcia tracks are on it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Welcome to the message board. Please be courteous to all your fellow forum users.

Contact forum@rogerwaters.com with any issues.