Who is Vera Lynn?
  • adrie July 2011
    I've been searching on the internet about Vera Lynn. I'm trying to make the connection to the story of "The Wall CD 2". I have a strong feeling that she is the "Forces Sweetheart" Vera Lynn, a famous english singer whose musical recordings and performances were enormously popular during World War II such as "We'll meet again".
    What do you think?

• Naughtrish July 2011
    Yes she is :)
  • BigBunnyBigBunny July 2011
    i know she was/is an english singer who was listened to by the British Forces in WW2... with songs like 'We'll meet again" i think she's still alive??
  • PolarBear July 2011
    Yes, she's still alive. In August 2009 the Album "We'll meet again: The Very Best of Vera Lynn" was released. She was 92 years old (in 2009) and became the oldest living artist to make it into No. 1 in the British album charts.
  • Naughtrish July 2011

"Vera" is a song by Pink Floyd (from The Wall). The title is a reference to Vera Lynn, a British singer who came to prominence during WWII with her popular song "We'll meet again".

The film version of The Wall opens with a snipper of Vera Lynn singing "The little boy that Santa Claus forgot"

(thanks to Wikipedia)

• "remember how she said that we would meet again some sunny day???" xxxx
  • TheLabyrinthTheLabyrinth November 2011
    Wait, wasn't that the song (no spoilers) at the end of "Dr. Strangelove"? If so, I may have to watch that movie for an eleventh time.
  • kellycampbell November 2011
    Vera, Vera...what has become of you??????
  • jcare November 2011
    Does anybody else in here feel the way I do?
  • jcare November 2011
    Another song that showcases the anguish in Roger's voice so perfectly..Like Dylan and Neil Young not a typically beautiful voice but one that conveys raw emotion..in my opinion.
  • SkyBlueHopeSkyBlueHope November 2011
    does anybody here know if Vera Lynn was real even? :)))
  • jcare November 2011
    Yes, she is indeed a real person, singer during the war
    oh ok, thanks :))) (shows how little trivia I really know I guess)
    I agree Jcare this song is underrated when you see it performed live it drips with raw emotion, though short it is a terrific song.
  • jcare November 2011
    It's the little things right Kelly?
    Yep!!  at least that is what I keep telling my wife  LOL  :-))
  • jcare November 2011
    LMAO!!
    sorry if I offended anyone but that one was just easy to pass up!
  • jcare November 2011
    I opened that door..No way.. now I am in 60's mode, a little Soul Sacrifice by Santana works for me..:o) Rock on Kelly..
    Sounds good...
  • RockPunkFloydRockPunkFloyd November 2011

Not my cup of tea, but she obviously left some impression on Roger Waters.

Indeed she is real and was quite popular during the war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY

• billy_sylvesterbilly_sylvester November 2011

it still does NOT work for me Billy, I'm in firefox, I copied then pasted the video url, and it's JUST a link still, how come?

http://youtu.be/1PB-FOx0v1w
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1PB-FOx0v1w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    maybe it just doesn't work on windows 7

don't worry billy, don't answer any of my questions about how to post videos, but don't ever ask me any either, ok?
  • justinecollins November 2011
    vera lynn was the soldiers lifeline to keeping their spirts up during the war whilst fighting for us she kept there spirts up. what a wonderful women she is and roger walters singing about her "what a man".justinexx
  • justinecollins November 2011
    vera lynn "what a women" i remember my dear old saying what a fantasic women she is xx
  • pinkisntwell December 2011
    just watched the wall with my son(3y/o) he was frozen in his tracks when vera came on!!--he loves the final cut!
  • SkyBlueHopeSkyBlueHope December 2011
    bump

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Welcome to the message board. Please be courteous to all your fellow forum users.

Contact forum@rogerwaters.com with any issues.